We are using Travis CI for our projects, and as we are using PHP a lot, and as great as composer is, constantly pulling in the full source for dependencies it can become tedious when you are constantly building and running tests (yes yes, I know I can limit the branches which are run). Luckily for us, composer provides a nice --prefer-dist option that will download the distribution package/zip that can save you a lot of time.
Last few weeks I have been working with DataGrip, a latest offering from JetBrains that is marketed as “Your Swiss Army Knife for Databases and SQL” and in my use case it most certainly turned to be true. I needed to connect to Amazon Redshift, for those of you who do not know, Redshift is what happened when Amazon took a PostgreSQL 8.0.2 and mutated it into “Amazon Redshift is a fast, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service that makes it simple and cost-effective to efficiently analyze all your data using your existing business intelligence tools”, yet it does not support indexes afaik, and has a rather lengthy list of unsupported functions etc.
Lately I have been looking into tools that can help us generate Entity Relationship Diagrams from database schema of any RDBMS (provided there is a driver), and to create some kind of editable format that can be then integrated with rest of the documentation and transformed by Sphinx to html.
So lately we have been hitting some interesting egde cases (at least to us) while
using the MySql on RDS and in local when using the
One of the projects we are involved with has a data store in RDS, recently I had to figure out the size of the tables and one of the databases. As RDS does not report this diectly, I had to dig through some internet to get my answers, and this post is the result, having all the queries in one place, so next time I need it, I can find it with ease.
So… It has come to this… Again… I moved from Wordpress a long time ago in favor of Octopress, version 2.x at the time. It worked beautifully, for a while, and then it was time to update, and it was messy, as it did not have a separate content from theme, but I chugged along, it wasn’t like I was writing much. Then a few months ago I wanted to use Octopress 3, and it was a mess, and when I finally got it running, my alloted time was at an end.